Saturday, February 10, 2007

LOBONG

LOBONG. Wow, it must be tough to review this Gending because so many recording versions are available.

Let’s start with the first one from Gamelan Nyai Saraswati. The Gending is played in two tuning systems. It begins in slendro manyuro and then switch to pelog nyamat after two gerongans were sung. To my knowledge, there is not many Gending played in two scales. So, this one is good to be listened to know how changing tune will affect melody.
Another thing, I would like to mentioned is about gambangan in early section before gerongan sing. Not as I heard in many pieces, gambangan in this section -in my view- dominates melody. it’s no longer just elaborating role. Interesting, isn’t it.

Gending Lobong minggah Kinanti Molak Malik, slm, plny, 12:38
Artist: Gamelan Nyai Saraswati

Bb

1 comment:

Montreal Photo Daily said...

I really appreciate your bit of info. Gending! Thank you for the clarification. :)

Montreal Photo Daily - Ken